Friday, December 31, 2010

The Hot, the Loud and the Proud; Hibiscus;


This is my favourite red Hibiscus, its flowers are double and as big as a dessert plate. It is very hardy too.


I always liked this Cuban variety; its striking colours of yellow and red; easily propagated from cuttings.

Isobel Beard is a little diva, only shows off her gorgeous flowers when she wants to.

Hawaiian elephant ear grows to a tall bush; wonderful, big double flowers kissed with pink.

As it is the height of summer I thought I let some of my Hibiscus show of their hot, loud and proud flowers.

Please visit here Noel Morata; A Plant fanatic in Hawaii;

8 comments:

  1. Lovely hibiscus blooms. I had the Isobel Beard, whose name I learnt from your post. That hibiscus is not only shy, but sensitive to over watering.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous collection! and lovely photos! I don't have the large ones but hoping to add them soon. These colours are fantastic!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning flowers and photos! The Cuban variety is wonderful with the vivid hues, but the Isobel Beard is my favorite, so delicate.
    Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way these wild ladies assert themselves!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such marvellous Hibiscus! I simply adore Isobel Beard ... fabulous colours!

    Wishing you a wonderful New Year! Up here we're clear of all the flooding thank goodness. I do hope you're all safe and sound. It continues to be wet though ... lots of rain still!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are so pretty. I liked the interesting shape of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aloha,

    i love your collection, isobel is a real stunner...what is also a hot color for hibiscus.

    thanks for sharing these and happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Titania Happy New Year. Those are beautiful hibiscus varieties, i have not seen the last 2 but i prefer the last, seems so special. Have you seen my old posts on other varieties, i even made a bouquet, i also have a blue and gray colors.

    ReplyDelete